How To Cleaning Your Hair Brushes And Combs
Imagine this, you just finished washing your hair. It’s all nice and clean such a great home cleaning. And then you take your brush or comb that you’ve used a most times before on your unwashed hair and use it on your freshly cleaned hair. Think about that for a moment. You’ve just taken your dirty hair that was left on the brush/comb and mixed it with your freshly clean hair. Now it’s not as clean as you may think it is.
So you love your hair, you take pride in your hair. You wash your hair daily, have regular appointments with your stylist to get it cut, colored, so on and on. It’s possible you spend far more than you even think you should on your hair. You love pampering your hair so much that you forget that your hair brush also needs pampering from time to time. Take some time to make sure you clean your hair brushes and attention to cleanliness just as you would clean your makeup brushes, you should clean your hair brushes and combs also.
Why is it Necessary to disinfect & Clean Your Brushes?
Germs, oil, dust and other free radicals tend to build up and can thrive on your brushes and combs. Many of us use hair products, then brush our hair, hence these products get transferred to the brush or comb.
When we don’t clean the brushes or combs, the products stay in place and build up over time. And as you use those uncleaned combs and brushes on your hair, you subject your hair to a host of hair and scalp problems like dandruff, scalp infections, hair fall, which is why cleaning the hair brushes becomes important!
STEP WISE PROCEDURE TO CLEAN A COMB
If you are thinking of cleaning your combs and hair brushes, follow these steps. They work well for all types so if you want to clean a round hair brush or clean a wide tooth comb, read on.
What You Will Need
- A tub
- Tea tree essential oil
- Warm water
Here is a step-by-step guide to clean your combs and brushes.
1. Remove the Hair
With your hands remove the hair and dirt stuck between the bristles of the hair brushes. If there is oil on the brushes or combs, use a tissue to wipe it off.
2. Put the Brushes in the Tub
Take a tub that is big enough to fit all the brushes and combs you need to clean, and put them all inside.
3. Add Water
Fill the tub with lukewarm water until all the brushes and combs are submerged in it.
Pour some shampoo or a mild cleanser in the water and stir it well.
5. Let Them Soak
Allow your brushes and combs to sit in the soapy water for about half an hour. This will help all the grime stuck at the bottom of the bristles of the brush or between the teeth of the comb to turn soft and lose.
Scrub your combs and brushes one by one. For the brushes, you will need to be as gentle as you can so that you do not damage or break the bristles.
7. Clean with a Toothpick
If there is still some dirt stuck right at the bottom, use a toothpick and gently scrub it off.
Rinse all your brushes and combs well to remove all the soap.
Add a few drops of tea tree oil to the tub (after cleaning it) and add some clean water. Soak your brushes and combs for about five minutes. This step ensures that your brushes and combs are sanitised as well.
10. Let them Dry
Place your brushes face down on the towel so that all the water seeps out. Place the combs next to them and let them dry.
Additional Tips for Cleaning Hair brushes & Combs
Here are some additional tips that you can use to clean hairbrushes:
1. You can disinfect and clean a plastic hairbrush or comb by dipping it in rubbing alcohol or vinegar.
2. If you are trying to clean a paddle hairbrush, do not use the soak method. Instead, just clean them by brushing them down with a toothbrush and do a quick rinse once a month.
3. Clarifying shampoo is the best cleanser to use while cleaning your hair tools since it works best at removing grime and oil that is stuck at the bottom.
4. As soon as you are done combing your hair, remove the hair that gets caught in the bristles or teeth.
5. To clean electric hair brushes, remove any stray hair stuck between the bristles, then use a damp cloth to wipe down between them.
6. To clean straightening or roller hair brush use a cloth and wipe down between the bristles as gently as you can. Make sure the tool is completely cooled down before you start.